St Augustine’s Church
Among one of the oldest constructions in South Australia, the St Augustine’s Church features a distinctive old Gothic style that has earned it State Heritage listing.
Walter Hunter was the architect and the project began in 1847 following funding from voluntary subscription. A temporary church that was constructed of wood was demolished from the site in 1848. On the 1 April 1851 the first foundation stone was laid. A man named Andrew O’Leary provided bullocks to early settlers who carted stones for the church from the nearby hills.
Labour shortages caused by the Victorian gold rush caused setbacks to the construction and the death of both the architect and the builder created further delays. Less than three weeks after laying the foundation stone, the architect Walter Hunter died. Eighteen months later, the contractor Peter Walsh died. The completion of the church was supervised by the architect George Kingston. Bishop Francis Murphy officially opened the St Augustine’s Church on 1 March 1857. The community decided to purchase a large bell for the church in 1882. A one-ton bell was acquired from Murphy’s Bell Foundry in Dublin by Bishop Christopher Augustine Reynolds. The bell was in service by 2 December 1883 and was housed in a wooden belfry at the rear of the church for 42 years. In 1920 a high altar was gifted to the congregation by Miss Nellie Sheehan of Melbourne in memory of her parents. The church was renovated and refurnished by the Parish Priest Reverend Fr Morrison and a bell tower was completed in 1925 as part of the project. The Heritage Listed St Augustine’s Church is still used today for wedding ceremonies. A new St Augustine’s Church was built in 1972 next to the old church.
Mon - Fri: 9am to 12.30pm