Old Spot Hotel
History of the Old Spot Hotel
One of the earliest licensed premises in South Australia.
The Old Spot Hotel had many names from its inception in 1840. Names included the Travelers Rest, Little Para Inn and the Para Inn, to its current name being given to it in 1849. There were many Licensees during its time including the founder of Salisbury, John Harvey. In 1899 Frederick Heinrich Kuhlmann bought the Old Spot Hotel. He decided to build a new hotel by demolishing the tap room, sitting room and several bedrooms. The new hotel was built in 1909 and increased the number of bedrooms to 14. The architect was Mr J.H. Laity. Mr Kuhlmann also had a nursery, orangery and a fruit and vegetable garden. He exported oranges and roses interstate and overseas. To water his crops he had a blacksmith named Mr Lee construct a water wheel on his property, but the water wheel had limited use.
Photographs courtesy of the State Library of South Australia and the Salisbury Library Service.
Every day, 8am to 2am.