The land which became the Angas Home for the Deaf was donated by philanthropist John Howard Angas in 1898.
The object of the institution was to take care of deaf people who were incapacitated by age or for any other reason could not earn a living. It was administered by the South Australian Deaf Society. Several buildings were constructed and opened in September 1899. One building was to house the manager A. G. H. Cox and his family and the others were for the residents, as well as farm buildings. In 1904 additions were made and later the Florence Thompson wing was built which had 30 separate rooms for residents. It was a working farm and had cattle, pigs, horses, sheep and poultry. They also grew wheat, lucerne and vegetables allowing them to to be self-sufficient. By 1979 it was considered uneconomical and was sold to the South Australian Housing Trust. Interesting fact: Mr Cox was the manager for 47 years, his wife was the Matron for 34 years and his daughter held that position after her mother for 28 years. This gives a total of 109 years of philanthropic service by one family. Today the Angas Home buildings remain and are a part of the Gardens College Primary School.