History of the Salisbury Hotel
The Salisbury Hotel was built for John Harvey in 1848 and was called The New Road Inn. It was constructed on 52 Commercial Road. As was usual for John Harvey, he leased the hotel to William Allen who was unsuccessful in getting a licence. The hotel was opened in 1854 and renamed The Salisbury Hotel. It was a two-storey building with a large Assembly Room. Later the building became a single storey structure. There have been many changes over the years, the latest is the demolition of the 1960's bar and the subsequent exposure of the original buildings stone work.