From 1940, one of the main munitions factories in South Australia was located in Salisbury and for a time it was the largest explosives factory in Australia.
The factory was responsible for making caps and detonators, preparing the small component-primers and fusers, filling cartridge cases with propellant and fitting them with primers, filling shell bodies with high explosives and assembling each to form a complete round of ammunition. This created thousands of jobs, beginning the growth of Salisbury. Many would travel by train but over time temporary housing was built to accommodate the workers and their families. Many of the buildings can still be seen around the Edinburgh RAAF Base.