Salisbury Post Office
Letters were considered important due to how widely dispersed the early population in South Australia was.
Salisbury’s Post Office opened in 1850 and storekeeper Charles Bertheau was the first postmaster. The postmaster would collect the mail from the Old Spot Hotel several times per day which had been dropped off by the Adelaide coach. There was also a lady postmistress Charlotte Pretty. The Post Office was moved to the railway station where it remained until 1915. In 1915 a two-storey Post Office was built on John Street and by 1941 there was a postmaster, postal assistant, three full time and one part-time telephonists. In 1960 there were 18 staff and 35 telephonists. A new building was opened in 1969 and the old building was sold. Today the Salisbury Post Office resides in the Parabanks Shopping Centre.